Friday, October 10, 2008

Ok, I get this email from my brother about prop 8. It is a video of a couple talking about how there child came home from school with a book on homosexuality without their permission. I was dumbfounded. I had just come from working out and hearing a news blip about the school where all those teenage girls got pregnant supposedly because of a pact and now that school is thinking about handing out protection without parental permission!!!!
I can't believe that we have come to this point in life that sex is something that schools are given the right to talk about and discuss without consulting parents! I have always taught my children to respect others. We may not agree with lifestyles but that does not mean that we treat them disrespectfully. The thought that elementary and even middle school age children are being exposed to discussions on homosexuality is very upsetting to me. I don't think any ones sexual preference should be discussed with children. I would be just as offended if they came home with books on heterosexual couples! What should be taught is respect! There is a big problem in our Country with giving respect to one another. Freedom of speech does not mean that we are free to tear each other down, I think opinions can be given in a way that is tactful and respectful. Now lets discuss the birth control issue. First of all, are parents talking to their kids? Are they keeping tabs on where they are on what is going on? And then let's discuss have they taught their kids accountability? Children should not be having sex until they are older and yes I am not naive, I know they do anyway but that is no reason to throw the towel in and give them birth control! That is like giving them a green light! We have become a me society, it's all about how much I can make, what makes me feel good, how do I get more. We need to become a society of families and go back to teaching morals and values. We need to know where are kids are and keep tabs on who they hang out with. We need to be involved with our kids. If it is important enough time can be found in even the busiest schedules to be a part of their lives and that is one of the best forms of birth control. If a child feels happy and secure they aren't going to go looking for validation else where.

No comments: