Sunday, October 5, 2008

Band Comp debacle

It was a gorgeous day, let's start out with that. The sun was shining, it was just the right temperature. I have been working out the last few weeks as I have decided that I have had enough with being over weight... but that is another story, anyway so I dressed to be comfortable and yet hopefully not frumpy. I picked a pair of my favorite olive green cotton pants. They are very comfortable and yet a step above jeans. Of course I must add the reason I was avoiding my summer jeans is because one of the two pair has a zipper that for whatever reason decides to come down at the most akward of times..... so I didn't want to try and figure out if I had that pair or not. So off I went with my Daughter to the high school. I get there and she goes off to practise and I drive around forever for a parking space as it was SAT's and the lot was full. I parked up on the hill and as I came down the steps, I had a nagging suspicion that the pants I had chosen to wear were going to give me trouble. They felt very loose, so loose in fact that I went in search of a safety pin to help make them tighter. After securing the pin I spoke with the other parents there and than began to help load the trucks and we packed up and headed out. Again, I must add that it was a beautiful day. It was a nice drive, one of the other band parents road with me and we found that we had friends in common and it was very refreshing to just chat and not worry about to much else. We finally arrived at the site of the competition and we started unloading the trucks and getting the kids ready to play. We had about forty five minutes before we were to go on. As they began to warm up, I decided to make a break for my car and put the safety pin on because the pants were doing their best to come down. So as I walked to my car thinking this is just so like me to have to deal with this stupid problem when the next thing I know, I was down! I had stepped on a rock and it was just annoying enough to cause my foot to slide and my ankle to snap sideways.... can you picture it? I was trying to keep the pants up without looking like I was keeping the pants up so as not to look foolish when suddenly I am on all fours looking worse than foolish???? Luckily no one seemed to notice and I made a hobbling mad dash for the car. It took me five minutes to get that pin in, I kept getting stuck, by the time I was done I swear I was ready scream. By the time I headed back to the band it was time to head in and do the show. The hosting school provided tractors that pulled our pit instruments onto the field for us, it was very nice until of course we realized that it was going to go the whole way around the track in high gear. I had to practically run to keep up and the whole time I am thinking... this is it... the safety pin is going to snap and the pants are going to go in front of all these people...... luckily it held until after we got the pit on the field..... The show was great! The kids did a wonderful job. I was very excited to watch my little girl out there and it was funny to realize that just like her mom she was the shortest trumpet player in her line up.
They left the field and we loaded up the trailer again... me one handed as I was holding the pants with the other.... and than it was time to just relax and watch the other bands...... well to make this long story a little shorter.... I had to go home early because my foot and ankle were killing me from the fall and Morgs was suffering from a headache.... It was wonderful to go to bed and I am happy to report that although the ankle and foot are tender, they are doing much better tonight.
I am looking forward to our next competition but I think I will dress with a little more care and watch where I am walking!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Can I just say... you told me the story on the phone but this version is much better!! I'm dying about your opening line about the beautiful day and lets start out with that!! Hilare! Then lets get right to the part about you walk/running the whole length of the track with you short legs whilst in fear of your safety pin coming undone!! Ohh this story is a literary MASTERPIECE!!

Lady T said...

Thank you! My pants and I thank you!